September 10, 2014
Internet has provided various means for youngsters to connect, share, explore and socialize with other individuals instantly. Social networking and social media sharing have become an important part of their daily lives. This has not only provided them ability to interact instantly but has also made them vulnerable and easy target for cyber criminals and hackers. Here we have jotted few security tips for younger generation that will help them to be safe and enjoy the social buzz to the most.
- Keep computer system updated: Software companies keep updating their products to address potential online threats. Therefore, computer systems should be regularly updated whenever updates are available or it should be configured to automatically update itself.
- Enable Firewall: Firewall acts as a security layer between the computer and internet. It helps to keep hackers away from accessing personal information, stealing identity or destroying files from the computer.
- Create strong passwords: Passwords for all online accounts should be strong enough and should contain letters, numbers and symbols. Users should also refrain from using same password on multiple sites.
- Only use secure websites: While making online purchases, make sure the credit card credentials are processed through a secure connection, known as SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). For this you can check for https:// (“s” in end of http means the page is SSL protected) in the URL of the page. Also it is advisable not to use public computers for any kind of banking activities.
- Securing Wi-Fi hotspots: Before using free Wi-Fi hotspots, users should verify that it is a secure connection. Using Virtual Private Networks provides a layer of security by routing data to a separate and secure network when using public connection.
- Protect against malicious software: Software programs downloaded from unsecure websites are designed to track user’s login details, monitor online activity and transmit confidential information. Software programs should be downloaded only from safe and familiar websites. Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus and other security software should be installed that detects the presence of bots and viruses in the computer system, thereby helping keep the computer system clean.
- Be Social Media smart: Social networking sites let youngsters connect with friends, relatives or family members. However, friend requests should be filtered and only people who are known should be added into the inner circle. Also be selective in sharing information with Apps on social networks.
- Not answering phishing mails: Chain mails claiming to be from a bank or individuals asking for bank details should never be answered. These are spam mails and should be immediately deleted.
Online security is an important issue; therefore one must stay vigilant while using the internet. These preventive steps can help to keep information safe and also provide a sense of security while browsing the internet.