RMM refers to Remote Monitoring & Management, also known as Remote IT Management or Network Management. It is a software used by IT teams to access, manage, and monitor network and endpoint devices remotely. The endpoint devices include computers, laptops, mobile devices, etc. connected to the network.
The rapid change in the business workforce has enhanced the need for RMM software. Increased number of remote teams has resulted in a decline in compliance to cyber security protocols at endpoints, making the organizations more susceptible to cyber-attacks.
This alarming number makes it imperative for IT teams to gain thorough visibility across remote networks to monitor and manage the network channels and endpoints for reducing cyber security risks.
Components of RMM Software
The functioning of Remote Monitoring & Management Software is facilitated by two key components – Agents and Center.
Agents are the components installed on every device connected to the network, including desktops, mobile devices, routers, etc.
The Center is the centralized component of RMM software that is installed on the server.
The center issues monitoring & management functions to the agents, who follow the instructions to execute the functions.
Functions of RMM Software
The defined functions may vary as per the configurations & capabilities of individual RMM software, but let us talk about five core functions delivered by every Remote Monitoring & Management Software.
- Remote Access: Gaining remote access to the devices connected remotely to a network is requisite to manage and monitor these devices. RMM software does the needful by providing remote access to IT professionals enabling them to monitor and troubleshoot without being onsite.
- Monitoring: Regular network monitoring is essential to identify vulnerabilities that can expose the network to cyber-attacks or lower its efficiency. RMM software monitors the network and endpoints for vulnerabilities and unusual behavior, such as outdated software, high CPU usage, etc. It also generates alerts to notify the IT team of required actions.
- Management: Managing a network involves multiple tasks such as installing updates, configuring devices, managing user access, etc. Remote Monitoring & Management software provides a platform for remotely managing a network and its devices. It is capable of automating routine management tasks such as installing system updates, rebooting machines, etc., based on permissions granted to the software.
- Support: RMM software provides tools such as a share screen that allow the IT team to provide support or troubleshooting assistance when required. These tools allow the IT team to gain complete control of the systems making it easier to understand the technical issues and provide effective solutions.
- Reporting: RMM software generates network reports to help the IT team build trends and spot diversions from regular network activity to locate potential risks. The reports provide a deep insight into access requests, activity logs, network performance, etc.
Benefits of RMM Software
In addition to the basic functions, RMM software offers an array of benefits:
- Regular monitoring of the network and endpoints by RMM allows for the timely detection of vulnerabilities. This allows the IT team to manage the vulnerabilities before they act as backdoors for the cyber-attacks.
- RMM software allows the IT team to manage technical issues endpoint users face in real-time. This helps in lowering the downtime for users.
- Organizations can expand their teams globally as IT teams are capable of monitoring & managing clients and users irrespective of location.
- Regular monitoring & management of network and endpoint devices helps in increasing productivity by offering preventive maintenance.
To know more about RMM software, contact Centex Technologies at Killeen (254) 213 – 4740, Dallas (972) 375 – 9654, Atlanta (404) 994 – 5074, and Austin (512) 956 – 5454.