September 17, 2014
A major concern for most companies, while putting their important documents in the cloud, is their security. Storing important documents without enough security can lead to a breach and loss of important information. CloudAlloy, one of the companies who exhibited at the Disrupt SF 2014 Startup Alley, follows a simple concept of breaking your documents into small pieces, spreading them across the cloud and getting them back again whenever you need them.
The creator of CloudAlloy, Vinay Purohit, reveals the details behind the whole process. The software just splits any documents into small bits, puts them into codes and deciphers them back for you. He further adds that by splitting the documents into different pieces, it becomes extremely difficult for hackers to put them together. Thus, in his words, “the encryption makes it bullet proof”. Whenever you request for the document, all broken pieces are decoded and combined together without any adjournment. In fact, Vinay insists that it would be faster than calling the whole document in a customary scenario of content retrieval. Also there is no need to worry even in the case of a service drop as they save some additional information along with each bit they allocate to the cloud and are still able to get it back even if the service stops working.
As of now, the service is compatible with Google, HP, Microsoft and Amazon S3, but the company is willing to work with a large enterprise if they want to avail their service. Vinay says that a person can also merge the local storage in the data center as well as the open cloud data in a hybrid model. It usually requires a minimum of 2 services however, you can also do this with a single service while considering on layering more services at a later time. The more services you use; more will be the level of security.
CloudAlloy is a very simple mean to certify security in the cloud. It does not require any complex inputs from the user or a huge IT involvement. You just have to subscribe to the service and as you store your docs in the cloud, it will break them into segments and provide the companies with a simple yet competent way to ensure content security.
September 10, 2014
Internet has provided various means for youngsters to connect, share, explore and socialize with other individuals instantly. Social networking and social media sharing have become an important part of their daily lives. This has not only provided them ability to interact instantly but has also made them vulnerable and easy target for cyber criminals and hackers. Here we have jotted few security tips for younger generation that will help them to be safe and enjoy the social buzz to the most.
- Keep computer system updated: Software companies keep updating their products to address potential online threats. Therefore, computer systems should be regularly updated whenever updates are available or it should be configured to automatically update itself.
- Enable Firewall: Firewall acts as a security layer between the computer and internet. It helps to keep hackers away from accessing personal information, stealing identity or destroying files from the computer.
- Create strong passwords: Passwords for all online accounts should be strong enough and should contain letters, numbers and symbols. Users should also refrain from using same password on multiple sites.
- Only use secure websites: While making online purchases, make sure the credit card credentials are processed through a secure connection, known as SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). For this you can check for https:// (“s” in end of http means the page is SSL protected) in the URL of the page. Also it is advisable not to use public computers for any kind of banking activities.
- Securing Wi-Fi hotspots: Before using free Wi-Fi hotspots, users should verify that it is a secure connection. Using Virtual Private Networks provides a layer of security by routing data to a separate and secure network when using public connection.
- Protect against malicious software: Software programs downloaded from unsecure websites are designed to track user’s login details, monitor online activity and transmit confidential information. Software programs should be downloaded only from safe and familiar websites. Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus and other security software should be installed that detects the presence of bots and viruses in the computer system, thereby helping keep the computer system clean.
- Be Social Media smart: Social networking sites let youngsters connect with friends, relatives or family members. However, friend requests should be filtered and only people who are known should be added into the inner circle. Also be selective in sharing information with Apps on social networks.
- Not answering phishing mails: Chain mails claiming to be from a bank or individuals asking for bank details should never be answered. These are spam mails and should be immediately deleted.
Online security is an important issue; therefore one must stay vigilant while using the internet. These preventive steps can help to keep information safe and also provide a sense of security while browsing the internet.
August 28, 2014
With the release of Sony PlayStation 4 the time has come to enter the all new world of gaming experience. The PS4 has a number of features that are specifically designed to provide preeminent experience to the next generation gamers and if you are a gadget freak who likes to get the most out of your gaming console, here is a complete guide that can be of great help to you.
- Setting up PS4: Your PS4 provides you access to all services and applications through a network account. You can either import your current account from PS3 and PlayStation Vita or you can create a new account with the console and you can also link your Facebook account with your console. After creating the account and downloading the first day update of 300 MB, you are all set to begin gaming.
- Get subscribed to PlayStation Plus: Although your PS4 network allows you access to a lot of online services like messaging and Netflix but getting a subscription for PlayStation Plus adds a lot more value to your PS4. With Play Station Plus, you can download many free games each month and these games are hard to find otherwise. The downloaded games are available in your console till the expiry of your PS4 membership. PS Plus membership is also required if you want to play online games with friends or if you want to save your game data on Cloud.
- Get Set Play: The PS4 is not compatible with the older version games of PS3 so you will need to start your collection from scratch. However almost every application for PS4 can be purchased online from the PlayStation Store.
- Explore free to play games: There are a few free games available on the PlayStation store and as promised by Sony there are many more in the offing. For shooter enthusiasts, there is a sci-fi FPS called ‘Backlight Retribution’ and for superhero fans, there is an RPG DC multiplayer game ‘Universe Online’. You can either play these games online with friends or challenge other PS4 gamers
- Upgrade old games: There are a number of games like Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 and Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag than can be upgraded for PS4. The complete guide on how to upgrade these games are available on the official website of Sony.
- Go Social: The controller of PS4 has a Share button that will help you to upload screenshots or videos on social networking sites. Also, PS4 automatically captures the last 15 minutes of your game video so that any thrilling moments are captured as they happen. You even have the option stream your live game play for your friends to watch.
With PlayStation4 you will surely have a lot of new digital games and fun experiences waiting for you.
August 25, 2014
Search engine giant Google has acquired social travel app maker ‘Jetpac’, as was disclosed on the latter’s website, on 18th August, 2014. The announcement read, “We’re joining Google! We look forward to working on exciting projects with our colleagues at Google.” Jetpac also added that they will remove their applications from Apple’s App Store by September 15, 2014.
Jetpac was established back in the year 2011 and during its initial stages it allowed people to explore the travel pictures taken by their Facebook friends to decide whether they want to visit that place or not. For instance if you wanted to search for an Irish pub in the area you would just have to search with the most specific terms and Jetpac would sort through millions of pictures posted on social networking sites to deliver you the most relevant results. Of late however, the company has created a unique tool that is able to spot smiles (face expressions) in the pictures. This helps you to determine people’s happiness rate at a particular location. Jetpac has also developed immediate recognition of a local object as seen through a phone camera which is quite similar to the Google Goggles technology.
It is not yet clear what’s in Google’s mind with the acquisition and whether or not will it integrate the artificial intelligence technology of the app with its own map and image search services, however there are some services of Jetpac that go well with Google’s primacies. Firstly, it works on an automatic technology to extract information from different publicly accessible photos on Instagram. Jetpac also worked on a technology called ‘neural network’, to analyze the photos, which is a system of programs that can be automated to examine the photographs for different elements like facial hair, makeup or accessories to outline the atmosphere of a bar or restaurant. Jetpac also sneaks through Facebook photos and uses an algorithm to find out the place where your friends enjoyed the most during their vacations. Secondly, as many as 6000 city guide results of Jetpac are intended to provide personalized geographic details and this kind of technology blends well with the services like Google+, Google Maps and Google Now.
The skilled team at Jetpac has years of experience in deep learning, an area in which Google has spent a lot of time. The procurement would surely provide the tech giant with a lot of talented employees and creative ideas to improve expertise in image-recognition. Also, now you can expect a better merger of the real world into web search results.
August 18, 2014
Google has recently released a new update to its algorithm which mainly targets local businesses on Google Maps & Google Search listings. Although Google has not specified the exact name of the changed algorithm, it has been unofficially called as ‘Pigeon Update.’
Silent Points About Google Pigeon Update:
- While the Pigeon Update works in the backend and affects how local businesses are listed on Google Maps and Google Search listings, there would be no effect on the front end display or arrangement of listings.
- The update is intended to simply refine the search results and show more relevant results for local search queries higher in search results.
- The update will make extensive use of the Google’s organic search ranking signals and search features like knowledge graph, spelling correction and synonyms. The new update will also improve Google Local Listing’s location and distance based ranking parameters.
- Currently, the new algorithm only affects the US English based search results. There is no information on when the new update will affect business listings in other locations and languages.
- It is unlikely that Google rankings of E-commerce stores without physical locations would be affected.
How to Benefit from the Update?
Although Google has not revealed the details about how its algorithm work but based on the information present, you can actually plan and benefit from Google Pigeon update. Here are few important tips:
- Check Your Listings: Optimize your Google Plus business page. Your listing should have clear information about your business establishment along with its proper address, phone numbers, fax numbers etc.
- Customer Reviews: Ask your customers to give feedback or reviews about your products or services on your business’s Google Plus business page.
- Get Listed In All Major Local Business Directories: If you are not already listed on major local business directories, it is important to get your business listed in top local business portals like Yelp, YellowPages, CitySearch etc.
- Local Citations: If possible, local citations should be generated through usage of local media portals, classifieds and business directories.
- Maintain An Active Website: It is important to maintain an active website that is regularly updated and have various local/ social elements in it.
For more information on Tips to Optimize Your Business for search engines, call us at – (855) 375-9654