December 24, 2014
Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a private network that uses the public telecommunication system, usually the internet, to enable a secure network access within an organization. It aims at providing the entire organization with the same network capabilities, but at a much lesser cost. VPN is often used to extend intranets across the world in order to broadcast information to a wider audience. If a user wants to gain access to the network, he must go through an authentication protocol using a username and password.
Types of VPN
- Dial-up VPN: This is a software based system developed over your existing internet connection. It involves creating a secure channel between the two remote points which allows the users to connect to the network. There is often little or no cost associated with this type of network set-up as you can easily use your existing software and equipment.
- Site To Site VPN: This type of VPN can be used to connect several computers present in remote locations to a particular network. All the systems connected to the network can have an access to each other.
- Client VPN: This is an encrypted connection from one remote device to a VPN router. Traffic is channeled from the device towards the router so that the user can access the inside information of the organization.
- SSL VPN: This type of VPN works much similarly to the client VPN. The major difference lies in the fact that it does not require any preconfigured software to connect to the network. Rather, the web browser performs the function of VoIP software.
Security Tips For VPN
- Install and constantly update firewalls to strengthen your VPN network.
- An intrusion detection or prevention system is recommended to effectively monitor malicious attacks on the network.
- Unmanaged or unsecured systems without any authentication should not be provided access to the network.
- Remote network servers or computer systems should have anti-virus software installed to prevent any infections.
- Network administrators should be provided proper training to follow best security measures during the installation and use of VPN.
- Auditing and logging functions should be present to record any unauthorized attempts to access the network.
- Guidelines and policies should be provided to the responsible parties to regulate their network use.
- Unnecessary access to the intranet should be controlled and limited.
Following the above given security tips can help you have a safe and secure network connection in your organization.