Users, nowadays, enjoy numerous web enabled services for entertainment, education, business, marketing etc. Studies suggest that there were 4,100,667,287 internet users worldwide as on January 1, 2019. As internet has become an integral part of our life; so a good internet speed is of due importance.
Fast internet connection enables you to browse the web, install new programs & software, stream videos & listen to music without any snag. However, a slow internet connection on the other hand can lead to frustration.
Let us gain some insight on factors that affect internet speed:
- Connection Type: Your internet speed significantly depends on the type of connection available. You can opt for any internet connection type such as modem, 4G wireless, hotspots, DSL, mobile satellite, fiber, cable, etc. Also, the speed of your internet connection depends largely on the technology being used by your internet service provider.
- Network Congestion: Another reason for a slow internet speed is internet traffic. So, when large number of people are using the internet then the internet speed is bound to slow down. Also, when multiple members of your family are using the internet & hogging the bandwidth by downloading, streaming or playing games online then the internet speed might reduce. Even though, the modern network connections are designed to handle a high volume of connections, the internet speed tends to slow down during the peak hours.
- Faulty Devices: A slow internet speed might also be a result of your faulty device. An old device with outdated program & software might not be able to support modern websites that feature lot of multimedia content. This may lead to slow buffering. Another reason of a slow connection could be presence of a malware or virus on the device.
- Location Of Wi-Fi Router: The location of your router also makes a considerable difference on the speed of internet. Factors such as distance from the devices, height at which the router is placed above the ground, proximity to materials that may obstruct Wi-Fi signals, etc. have an impact on the speed of internet. It is always advisable to place your router at a central position away from walls & obstructions. This helps in easy transmission of the signal and reduces the distance to be travelled by it.
- Presence Of Other Networks: There is a possibility that the internet speed might slow down because of conflicting transmissions in an area having a large number of different Wi-Fi networks.
- Internet Plan: The speed of your internet also depends on the internet plan bought by you. Choose a plan on the basis of your need & usage as well as the number of people who would share the network connection.
For more information about IT, call Centex Technologies at (254) 213-4740.