February 5, 2016
Keeping your smartphone properly secured is extremely important. Considering the wide range of tasks you carry out through your smartphone, right from social networking and banking to online shopping, following the right security measures has become a pre-requisite. It will help you protect your device against different forms of malware attacks.
Here are some tips to keep your smartphone secure:
- Use A Screen Lock: This is probably the most basic and often overlooked security tip. Make sure your phone screen is locked at all times, either with a PIN or password. Create a password that is difficult to crack in case your phone is lost or stolen. You can also use a pattern lock but keep your screen clean to avoid leaving fingerprints.
- Protect Sensitive Data: Even if you have used a strong password, the data stored in your device is still at risk. A cybercriminal simply needs to plug-in a USB cable to connect the smartphone to a computer and access the files stored within. To avoid this, you should keep all your important files and folders password locked or encrypted. With this, the user will be required to enter a pre-set code before the file can be viewed or copied.
- Set up locate and remote wipe: Most smartphones allow the users to locate the device in case it is lost or stolen. They can even remotely wipe the information stored in the phone or simply change the PIN/password to lock the thief out of the device.
- Turn Off Wi-Fi And Bluetooth When Not In Use: Ensure that your phone’s Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and all other wireless protocols are switched off when you are not using them. Else, put your phone in a non-discoverable mode to avoid making it vulnerable to a hacking attack. Also, turn off automatic connections to open Wi-Fi networks to leak out your smartphone’s useful data.
- Install Security Software: Download a credible and trusted security app to protect your smartphone against malware and viruses. Make sure you frequently update the virus definitions. Some applications also offer additional features such as remote wipe, app lock, data backup etc.
For more smartphone security tips, contact Centex Technologies at (855) 375 – 9654.