17 June, 2016
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest etc. have exploded in popularity in the past few years. These social networking websites provide a convenient platform to connect with friends and stay updated about the world. However, these portals are quite commonly targeted by cybercriminals to access confidential information that can be used for scandalous purposes. It is imperative for the users to stay cautious to minimize the potential risk of hacker attacks.
Here are some do’s and don’ts that must be followed while using social networking websites:
- Configure your privacy settings: Make sure you set your account privacy settings to the maximum. This will help to protect your information from being viewed by anyone you do not know. Restrict the number of users who can view your personal details, status updates, pictures, tweets or pins.
- Keep password strong: Create a strong as well as unique password and make sure you set a different one for all your social networking accounts. Do not use your personal information such as name, date of birth, home town, pet’s name etc. as the password as these can be easily cracked by the hacker. Consider making your password lengthy by combining alphabets, numbers and symbols to increase the security of your social media accounts.
- Verify friend/follower requests: It is important to be selective about who you accept as a friend or follow on social networking websites. Cybercriminals may disguise or falsify their online identity to seek out sensitive information that may otherwise not be accessible. If you interact with unknown people, limit the information that you share with them.
- Share too much information: Be cautious about how much personal information you are sharing on social networking platforms. The more details you provide, the easier it will be hackers to use the data to breach your account or initiate other cybercrimes. Also, geo-tagging your photos may put you at risk from burglars and stalkers.
- Open unsolicited images or links: You must not click on any links or open images that appear to be suspicious, even if they are shared by people you know. Also, do not open a social networking website through the embedded link in an email or text message. It may redirect you to a fake website to steal your login credentials.
- Download third party apps: Many social networking websites give you the option to download apps and programs to enhance user experience. However, these may be used by the cybercriminals to infect your system with a malware or track your online activities.
For more tips to increase your safety while using social networking websites, you can contact Centex Technologies at (855) 375 – 9654.