September 20, 2010
Internet has opened a gateway of knowledge to us. With a click of mouse, you can come to know what is happening thousands of miles away from you. With internet communication has become easy and convenient. However, like any other technology, internet has also been used widely by the hackers and other anti-social groups. The biggest threat that we face on internet is from virus attacks, identity theft and hacking. However, if you avoid doing the following things when you are online, you can save yourself from hackers and virus attacks.
- Keep your passwords confidential. Never share your passwords with anyone.
- Avoid logging in to any websites when you are using a shared wireless network, there is a chance that a hacker can steal your password. If you want to login, make sure that you have a firewall turned on.
- While using any banking website, make sure that you are using web pin or using your mouse to enter the passwords from the set of characters instead of entering them by typing in the required area. This avoids any programs like key logger from recording your key strokes. Most of the banks provide third level of security, use them.
- Do not download any unauthorized songs, movie or video clips unless you are sure that the source is genuine.
- Do not download attachments from unknown senders, they may contain viruses.
- Be aware of phishing mails and never give your personal information like passwords, username, and account number to any emails sent by banks. No banks will ask you this information.
- Most of the internet browsers warn users from going to malicious websites. When you reach such website, shut down the browser.
- Always check for the security sign of the website. Never do online transactions if the website does not have any https option or if the security certificate is expired.
- Store your personal information in an external drive and protect the folder with a password.
- Last but not the least, never trust any email claiming that you have won millions of dollars and asking for personal information from you. They are frauds.
By following the above tips, you can definitely avoid any kind of frauds or virus attacks and make an online experience much pleasant.
For complete IT security solutions for your business, visit Centex Technologies.