May 8 2013
With the increasing number of internet hackers and miscreants, it is every computer user’s responsibility to understand how computer security works, and ensure that they are taking the necessary steps to safeguard their computer from security threats. With just a few simple precautions, you can go a long way in keeping your computer safe from these negative elements. The following tips guide you on how to eliminate security threats for your computer-
- The internet browser you choose has an impact on the security of your computer, so ensure that you are using a safe and trusted browser. Also remember to adjust your browser settings to avoid pop-ups and other auto downloads on the websites.
- Be careful about the source that you choose to install antivirus software and other computer protection. Using a shady website for free downloads of these software could do more harm than good, infesting your computer with malicious code.
- Use one reliable antivirus software with positive user reviews, instead of installing multiple software on your computer. Also be sure not to play around with the settings of the antivirus, unless you are absolutely sure about what you are doing, as you could end up leaving loopholes for threats.
- It is recommended to delete all your browsing data, including cookies and passwords, after each browsing session. Making this a habit could help to save your sensitive information and protect your accounts from hackers.
- Do not overlook the need to scan external storage devices for viruses each time you use them on your computer.
- Be cautious before submitting your credit card details online, as phishing scams are getting alarmingly common.
- Beware of emails from unknown sources and think twice before responding to these emails, as you could end up being permanently listed on spam lists. Also do not click on links to websites that you are not sure about.
- Make the most of your antivirus by running weekly scans, and keeping it regularly updated.
- Keeping a backup of all the important files and data on your computer is a good idea, as this could be of great help in the event of an attack on your PC.
- You need to be particularly careful and install a firewall in you are using the internet on a shared network. Sometimes the worst hackers could be right next door to you.
Centex Technologies is a Central Texas based networking and IT firm engaged in providing complete networking and IT security solutions. For more information, call us at our Dallas office – (972) 375-9654