August 25, 2015
Microsoft operating system updates are designed to resolve issues concerned with the previous version as well as making computing easier for the end-users. Keeping in line, Windows 10 comes with many new features and applications to improve functionality. As far as security is concerned, this latest OS comes pre-loaded with several updates in order to protect users from hacking attacks.
Here are some of the important features in Windows 10 that can enhance user security:
- Two-Factor Authentication: Windows 10 has incorporated two essential safety features to protect the privacy of users – Windows Hello and an update of Windows Passport. The former one involves a two factor authentication method for the users to view any stored data. They will be required to enter one validation element as well as a PIN number or a biometric feature such as retina or fingerprint scan. Taking it a step further, Windows Passport allows the users to enter the biometric authentication element to access the entire system. This eliminates the need to remember easy-to-hack passwords.
- “On-The-Fly” Encryption: For people who use personal devices for work, this feature will provide additional security to safeguard their office data. The encryption feature called ‘Data Loss Prevention’ will recognize the data associated with your work, separate it from other files and encrypt it using the updated version of ‘BitLocker’. Anything found to be work-related is placed into a safer portal.
- Device Guard: This feature in Windows 10 will help to determine if a file is safe or contains any sort of malware. The Device Guard will quickly scan all the programs and data to detect any potential threat. If found, the user will be alerted and left to decide if he wants to open the file or not.
- Edge Browser: With Windows 10, Microsoft is also releasing its improved and safer browser, Edge. Initially named as Project Spartan, Edge is designed to make up for the security flaws in Internet Explorer. The browser will allow users to access websites through their Windows Passport authentication code instead of the passwords. Additionally, Edge will not support ActiveX updates and work in a sandbox mode to protect against malware or hacking attacks.
- Automatic Antivirus Update: Installing Windows 10 will also automatically update your antivirus software. Your previous anti-virus will be removed and then re-installed to the latest version with updated malware, virus as well as spyware definitions. In case your anti-virus subscription has ended, the system will install Windows Defender.
The safety features in Windows 10 will be of great help for the large business firms in managing a complex networking infrastructure and maintaining IT security.