World has become a global village where technology has made communication process more effective & easy. It has brought along a revolution & transformed a lot of things around us. One such thing is M2M communication.
M2M communication refers to Machine-to-Machine communication. It involves a set of machines connected with each other that communicate or exchange information without any human interaction. Such communication between machines has become easier with the rise of wireless technology. As per Strategy Analytics, by 2020 the global M2M industry size will grow to around 200 billion U.S. dollars in revenue.
Examples Of M2M Communications
- Manufacturers can receive notifications & alerts from devices in operation whenever they need servicing due to M2M tools. The machine itself tells you when it needs repairing.
- Inventory information sent out by vending machine.
- ATM machines dispensing cash.
- The air conditioner automatically switch’s down when the room temperature reaches the set point.
- Wearable devices that track down the number of steps you take & also monitor your heart beat.
Benefits Of M2M communication
- Reduced Costs – M2M communication enables automation and allows businesses to reduce operational costs. It helps in saving time & effort resulting in better efficiency.
- Prompt Action– It is easier to gather data when machines are connected to each other. This enables a prompt action to the request made.
- Open New Avenues – M2M will open up numerous opportunities. With more machines being connected to each other it is possible to provide new service based offerings.
- Improved Customer Service
Applications Of M2M Communications
M2M communication is presently being used in the following sectors:
- Traffic Control
- Access Point Attack
- Denial Of Service Attack
- External Interface Attack
- Device Triggering Attack
Difference Between IoT & M2M?
Often used interchangeably, M2M communication & IoT are not the same.
- M2M communication uses point to point communication between machines, sensors & hardware. While on the other hand, IoT relies on IP based networks and sensors.
- M2M is deployed in a closed system whereas IoT connects to a larger network.
- M2M communication does not rely on an internet connection. However, Internet of Things (IoT) as the name suggests requires a strong & active internet connection.
- Where IoT uses IP protocols, M2M uses non-IP protocols.
- M2M refers to the communication between machines. IoT on the other hand involves communication of machines with humans as well as machines with machines.
- M2M communication has a long way to go. With the advancement in technology we will be able to use M2M communication systems in a better and more effective way. That day is not far when every sector of the industry will recognize its importance and leverage more benefit from it.
For more information related to M2M communications & IT security, call Centex Technologies at (254) 213-4740.