Public cloud is a computing service offered by a third party provider to users. It can be used by anyone who wants to use or purchase the cloud service. Not only does public cloud systems help in saving purchasing costs, but also reduces management & maintenance expenses for hardware & software infrastructure. A distinctive feature of using public cloud service is that many personnel can simultaneously use an application from their respective devices. Although public cloud offers infinite scalability and can be deployed faster, it is advised to take appropriate measures to prevent any security lapse. Below we have discussed certain points that can help in strengthening public cloud security for an enterprise.
- Select The Right Apps For Public Cloud: Businesses use public cloud for all applications. However, it is advisable to diligently scrutinize & avoid using public cloud for mission-critical apps and data.
- Add Security Layers: Since numerous users can access the content from the cloud, so it is essential to protect it. If you fail to secure the apps & data, it gives attackers an open window to attack and get access to restricted data. So, it is always advisable to encrypt the data and keep it protected. You must also add additional authentication layers like passwords & user credentials.
- Access Control: Most organizations are opting for cloud technology as it allows employees to gain an access to data from any geographical location with the help of an active internet connection. However, with the increasing BYOD culture, the risk of data intrusion has also ascended. In a report by Forrester, 80% of security breaches involved privileged credentials. In order to avoid such scenario, it is important to have due control over data access. Make sure that you give password access to trusted employees only and minimize user account privileges. Also, access to any sensitive data stored on cloud should be limited to employees having entitled authority to utilize such data.
- Backup Data: Data stored on public cloud is prone to numerous risks. The best way to avoid any risk is to take regular cloud backups. Having additional copies of data helps in preventing any kind of business loss & minimize business interruption.
- Use Third Party Auditing Services: Organizations should opt for third party auditing services for enhanced security. Businesses can move the applications to public cloud followed by an audit to ensure that the security protocols match the standards promised by cloud service provider. This increases their feasibility and also enables them to move confidential information to the cloud.
- Train Your Staff: Hacking attacks are increasing day by day. To prevent such attacks, it is advisable to train your employees about the working of public cloud. This enhances the security and reduces the chances of data loss.
For more information about Cloud Security, call Centex Technologies at (254) 213-4740.