February 10, 2015
As the technology and systems behind cyber-attacks are persistently evolving, it’s nearly impossible for any company to stay absolutely secure. However, there are a few important steps that must be taken to minimize the threats to your company’s network security. Here we have jotted down list of steps that a company should implement to strengthen security of its computer network.
- Use Two Factor Authentication: Customary authentication methods involving a username and password are no longer effective from security point of view. Instead, you should prefer using a two factor validation combining the above two elements with some other confidential physical devices such as a smartphone, USB token, smart card etc. It can also incorporate biometric data like retina scan, fingerprint and voice recognition etc.
- Have A Specified Security Policy: Whether you have a large or small company, there must be a comprehensive security policy explicitly stated to all the employees. This includes making sure that the software on their systems is up to date with a fully functional security cover. Latest anti-malware and antivirus software should be properly installed and inspected. Also, the staff should know whom to call if any system software needs configuring. Employees should also be educated about type of external devices that are prohibited on office computers.
- Use Biometric Encryption And Passwords: If a company’s computer or laptop is stolen, there is a high possibility that someone can gain access to the confidential data, infect the network or access other computers. To prevent this, you can implement additional security features in the system such as encrypting the hard drive, facilitating a biometric password on start-up. You can also install BitLocker on your Windows computer to automatically encode the data saved on the hard drive or removable media.
- Secure Access From External Servers: If any employee is accessing your server from a personal device, make sure that he has to pass through applicable verification measures. Introduce one time passwords (OTPs) or smart cards for the users to connect through the company’s VPN. If your company follows bring your own device (BYOD) policy, you must set up appropriate policies to ensure that it does not affect your network’s security.
- Perform Regular Checks: It is very important that you review your security policy on a regular basis. Frequent system audits can help you measure the effectiveness of your company’s security operations against potential threats and attacks.
By devoting more attention to your company’s security practices, you will be in a better position to not just shield, but also correct the inconsistencies in your private network.
We at Centex Technologies provide complete cyber security solutions to corporates. For more information call us at (855) 375-9654.