30 June, 2016
Web content filtering is one of the most important elements of an organization’s cyber security policy. Also known as “Information Filtering”, it involves screening a website and restricting access if deemed harmful or objectionable. It not only helps to prevent unwanted internet access by the employees, but also protects the corporate network from online threats. Web content filtering works by checking the credibility of a portal, when a user attempts to visit it. If the website has been blacklisted by the administrator, the user is barred from accessing it. Content filtering is important to restrict access to webpages which can have pornographic content, malware, keyloggers, botnets, proxy server etc.
Types Of Web Content Filtering
- Client Side Filter: In client side filtering, software is installed on computers that require content filtering. The admin can customize the list of blocked websites or specify guidelines according to which the content needs to be filtered. Client side filters are a good option for small businesses that have a limited number of employees.
- Server Side Filter: In this type, content filtering software is installed on a central server computer that monitors the security settings on other systems on the same network. The business owner or network administrator can apply the same filter rules for all computers.
- Content Limited ISP: In this type of filter, the internet service provider has the authority to regulate the type of content that can or cannot be viewed by the users. Apart from blocking malicious websites, it also monitors emails, chats and web traffic to prevent Denial of Service (DoS) as well as man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Search Engine Filters: Many search engines like Google and Bing also offer content filtering options to the users. They can block inappropriate content and text from being displayed in the search results.
Benefits Of Web Content Filtering
- Increased Employee Productivity: As the unwanted websites are blocked, the employees are likely to be more focused towards work. They would not get distracted which, in turn, increases their overall productivity at the office.
- Better Network Protection: Web content filtering helps to block malicious websites, emails and programs that are likely to infect a computer system with malware. Preventing these online threats safeguards your corporate network against a potential security breach.
- Bandwidth Usage Reduction: With a high speed internet connection, employees may engage in undesired activities like streaming videos, downloading movies, peer-to-peer file sharing etc. This increases the network’s bandwidth usage which can be controlled by using a content filtering software.
For more information on the benefits of web content filtering, feel free to contact Centex Technologies at (855) 375 – 9654.