Dec 27, 2009
Choosing a domain name can be very tiring and time consuming, especially if your business is all about selling products through marketing on the web. Normally we tend to choose a domain name which is similar to the business name of the company. But if we wish to aim at getting business through search engines, then we need to carefully select the domain name.
Here are few tips that will help you to choose a domain name that is best suited for your business.
- Have your keywords in the domains name e.g. if you are selling NBA tickets, it is advised to have a domain name like NBATicketsOnline.com or similar. Having your prominent keywords in domain name reduces the SEO efforts and gets your website quickly on the top of search engines.
- Chose a short domain name. The shorter the domain name is, the more weighted it is from SEO point of view.
- .com is the most popular TLD. Unless you have specific locations to target, you should try to get a .com domain. Second most popular one is .net.
- If you are buying a domain name from secondary market, do check out if the domain is not banned or facing a penalty on search engines.
- From SEO point of view, first priority should be to choose a domain name without dashes “-“.
Also when you choose a domain name and you wish to create a brand out of it, choose a domain name that appeal to masses. Google.com, Yahoo.com, Amazon.com, Apple.com are few examples of domain names that are simple and easy to recognize. If you can couple your keywords in a domain name and create an easy-to-remember domain name then there is nothing like that.
It is important to choose your domain name wisely. Once you get your domain live, all your efforts will be focused on promotions and optimization of your business website, so depending on your business needs you should buy the best suited domain name in the first place.