Posts Tagged Security
February 28, 2011
Networking allows you to share Internet data and access files and folders across systems easily. But one does not want to share his information and data with just anyone. With the help of a wireless network, your information is moving through the air medium, not physical wires, so anyone within the range can intrude your network. There are five substantive security measures you should take to procure your wireless network.
Change the default connection password:
All the Access points and routers have a default password set by the company. You will be asked for a password whenever you want to make alterations to the network settings. Hackers are aware of these default passwords and will seek them to have illegal access to your wireless device and alter your network settings. To avoid any unauthorized alterations, change the password and make it hard to guess.
Modify the default SSID:
Your wireless network devices have a default SSID (Service Set Identifier) which is set by the company. The SSID is the name of your wireless network, and it can be up to the length of 23 characters. Modify your network’s SSID to something unique, and ensure it does not refer to any networking products you own. As an extra precaution, make it a point to modify the SSID regularly.
Enable WPA Encryption:
Encryption allows security for the data that is being communicated over a wireless network. Wired Equivalency Privacy (WEP) and WiFi Protected Access (WPA) extend unlike degrees of security for wireless communication. WPA is addressed to be safer than WEP, because it makes use of the dynamic key encryption.
Disable SSID broadcast:
Automatically, most of the wireless networking devices are typeset to broadcast the SSID, so any person can effortlessly join the wireless network with just this info. This is advantageous for the hackers, so unless you own a public hotspot, the best idea is to disable the SSID broadcast. You certainly will believe that it is handier to broadcast your SSID so that you are able to click on it to join the network, but in addition you can configure the devices on your network to automatically connect to a specific SSID without transmitting the SSID from the router.
Enable MAC address filtering.
Some routers provide you the power to enable MAC address filtering. The MAC address is a distinct series of figures and letters allotted to every networking device. With MAC address filtering, you can determine which computers can obtain access to your network. It would be quite difficult for a hacker to find your network using a random MAC address.
To know more about Networking and computer security, please visit Centex Technologies. We can be contacted on (254) 213-4740 and (800) 236-1497 (Toll Free).
October 04, 2010
Today, we cannot think of life without computers. Be it home or office or any public/ private organization, we need computers for performing our day to day operations. We not only keep our personal data on computers but also use them for business communication and fund transactions. This makes the security of computer systems extremely important. It is required to keep the computers secure for optimum utilization and to safeguard yourself against threats, especially when you are using a network. There are few steps which you require to perform for securing the system.
The first thing which you should do is to have a properly configured firewall and install a good anti-virus software. It is also a good practice to create back up of files into any external drives like CDs or USB devices. Regular backups make sure that the files will not get lost if there are any external attacks or if the system crashes. Also make sure that you purchase a genuine copy of the anti virus and have the anti virus updated from time to time. Do not download any software, games, MP3 or videos if you do not trust the source. There is a possibility that you may download a virus in your system. Always have a spam guard to protect yourself from unsolicited mails. Do make sure that you are aware of the phishing mails and do not open any attachments from mails that look like spam.
It is extremely important that you never share your personal information online and be aware of hackers. Give a remote desktop access only if you trust the other party. Make sure that you are constantly communicating with the other person and in case of any suspicious activity, discontinue the same.
Above all, it is very much important that you use an updated operating system and never share your passwords with anyone and do not use common words as passwords.
We at Centex Technologies provide wide range of solutions for computer system maintenance and security. For more information on how you can set up a secure computer system or work network, feel free to call us at 254-213-4740
Feb 28, 2010
Security is of utmost concern now days. To tackle the issues with security, there are a variety of security systems for homes, offices and all types of buildings available in the market. Not just choosing the right kind of security system device is important but also proper planning and device installations is equally important. Compiled below is a list of a few of the many systems that are available for security needs of individuals as well as groups.
- Motion sensor security systems: Motion sensors are those kinds of security systems that detect any kind of movement in the home or on the property, when turned on. In a few cases, these systems use infrared light that detects changes in heat, bringing into use the concept of body heat. High frequency waves are another form of motion sensor.
- Acoustic sensor security systems: These sensors work on the phenomenon of minute sound detection like the sound of breaking glass. These sensors are made use of in homes and offices etc, near doors and windows which make use of glasses and house valuables. They are also extensively made use of in museums and exhibitions where valuable items are displayed in glass cases.
- Wireless security systems: These security systems as the name suggests, are wireless in nature i.e. free of any kind of chords or wires which may give up the security device before the thief. There are no wires which need to be hidden or done away with somehow. These wireless systems do not cause any hassle in installation, maintenance and utilization due to this quality of theirs.
- Digital security systems: These are the most widely used and the most efficient kind of security systems. The principle behind their working is coding-uncoding. These can be made use of to guard a particular area or any specific valuable item, for example, safes and vaults. These security devices need to be provided with a security code or a password which will be required to put in every time one needs to access them.
- Thumb print security systems: These security systems are generally used for doors and work by taking into account the thumb impression of individuals to be allowed entry. For operation, every time one needs to enter through that door, the same thumb impression would be required. It is mostly used for access to firms/companies to allow access to only employees and keep out outsiders.
For all kind of security devices and systems, Contact Centex Technologies. We provide state-of-the-art electronic security system in Killeen, Central Texas.